Committing to healthy eating can be a challenge. In today’s technological environment, smart healthy eaters can utilize their phones to get them closer to a better diet. Whether you’re trying to stick to a better diet for weight loss, for improving a chronic condition, or just because it’s better for you, there are plenty of apps that can show you the way. Many of these apps are either free or low cost, making healthy eating affordable for all. Here are some top apps to support your quest for a healthier diet.
- MyFitnessPalAnyone who is trying to lose weight needs a calorie counter app to make things easier. The best way to truly take away the pounds is to reduce calories. One of the easiest and most popular apps for this purpose is MyFitnessPal. This app allows you to scan the barcodes of everything you eat, or you can find the food in its enormous database. As you eat each food, your calories are logged, giving you an accurate picture of how much you consume in a day.
Download MyFitnessPal Apps
- FooducateIf you want to go a little beyond just the amount of calories you consume each day, another calorie counting app to try is Fooducate. Fooducate differentiates itself by additionally evaluating each food item you log into your food diary. More wholesome and nutritious selections are graded higher, with designations as A or B, and items that are not as good for you can be rated on the low end of the scale.
- Seafood WatchThose who enjoy eating seafood can sometimes get confused about the type of fish to purchase and which to avoid. The Monterey Bay Aquarium has developed its own app, Seafood Watch, to help consumers make better fish choices. It can give you recommendations about where you can find fish that is healthier for you. It centers around seafood that is sustainable, so you can support the health of the oceans as well as your own body.
- Chemical CuisineChemical Cuisine is another app that can help you make better choices for you and your family’s menus. This app, which was created by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, makes understanding food additives much easier. It allows users to search for any food ingredient that is on an item’s label. Then, you can get a safety rating for the additive in order to decide whether or not you should be eating the product.
- SeamlessFor healthy takeout dinner choices, it can be tough to find what you’re looking for. That’s where the app Seamless comes into play. Find the type of cuisine you’re craving with this app by filtering search results for healthy establishments. Then, you can order and pay directly through the app, giving you a fast and easy way to get takeout. Finally, the app allows you to see the progress of your order as it makes its way through the system until it arrives at your door or you pick it up.
Download Seamless iOS App
- SuperfoodsMany people have heard the term superfood thrown around in the diet and nutritional world, so of course there’s an app with that name. A superfood is simply something that you should be eating because it offers huge benefits in regards to vitamins, minerals, or protection from disease. The app, Superfoods, gives users a database of all foods and their benefits to your health. Once you select a food, you get access to tons of recipes that you could create to incorporate the food into your diet.
- SubstitutionsFor millions of food allergy sufferers, it can be frustrating when you’re making a popular recipe that happens to have one of your allergens in its ingredient list. The Substitutions app makes it much easier to pick a comparable ingredient to swap out. Instead of regular mayonnaise, you might need to substitute a more allergy friendly brand, like Just Mayo from hamptoncreek. Then, you could get back to savoring the tastes that life brings you.
Download Substitutions iOS App
- Dirty DozenDirty Dozen is an app that helps you decide when you should buy organic products, and when it’s okay to choose conventional items. It gives you an updated list of the top produce items that are most likely to contain pesticides and the most common products that may not have harmful additives.
Using your smartphone or tablet to aid your quest for a healthier body is the smart thing to do in the 21st century. Download these helpful apps to give you a better and more wholesome food experience.