Here’s a little scoop on the latest fad which has caught the fancy of fitness savvy celebs, BAREFOOT RUNNING! Yes that’s right! Barefoot running or natural running has become a favorite part of the fitness regimen of a number of Hollywood celebrities. However, the question here is, are we better runners if the shoes came off?
Thanks to celebrities like Scarlett Johansson turning out in her Vibram Five Fingers, this new fitness trend is gaining more and more popularity and has become this year’s biggest running trend. However, it’s not something new to all the serious runners who have been training bare foot on the asphalt sans shoes for years. The trend gained popularity after the publication of the book Born to Run in 2009 by Christopher McDougall. And it turns out that barefoot running is better for you than normal running with shoes as its more comfortable and correcting according to FitSugar.com.
Well-known shoe expert Tobie Hatfield gives his view on why barefoot running is more beneficial:
- The natural motion of barefoot training helps in strengthening feet and increase flexibility
- The idea is to take notice of one’s feet in the similar way one does for other parts of the body.
- One feels the sensory nerves. And because there are minimal impact forces on landing, it can be very comfortable provided you develop calluses on your feet.
- Running barefoot also means that less energy is spent and has been shown to use about 5% less energy than shod running
- A strong foot, is less likely to develop a collapsed arch
- One must build up slowly by practicing walking around barefoot frequently. Walk a quarter mile to one mile every other day.
So if you’re thinking of making the transition to minimalist shoes or barefoot running start slowly as The American Council on Exercise found that it should be done slowly and as 25% of your normal running routine or it could cause injuries. Also be sure to invest in a pair of minimalist shoes. So go ahead and be fit!
Join thousands of subscribers
And get updates as and when we publish new, informative and research based posts!