Authoring tools are very important in different types of industries, as progress is directly connected with knowledge sharing. With the development of technology, companies have used these tools to create employee training courses, whereas individuals use them for course creation. However, with the advancement in technology, the switch from desktop authoring tools to cloud-based authoring tools was bound to happen.
Many business owners are wondering whether it is worth to move to the new system, so let’s take a look at the main reasons why cloud-based authoring tools are better for businesses and the eLearning industry.
One of the most important factors for businesses and eLearning platforms is cost efficiency. The development of cloud technology has put customers in a position to greatly lower their costs while utilizing various new benefits of the entire platform.
For example, when running desktop authoring software, it is necessary to establish a local network, which requires hardware investments as well as maintenance costs. Additionally, these software tools require a lot of training and investments. You need skilled IT staff that would teach people how to use the tool.
On the other hand, with a monthly fee, all of this is taken care of and all you have to do is sit down and create content for your employees or students. This saves time and money with zero sacrifices.
In the past, desktop authoring tools were only accessible locally, which significantly slowed down the process of content creation.
On the other hand, the main advantage of cloud-based authoring tools lies in the fact that the system is always online and ready to be used. For the user to access a cloud-based authoring tool, he/she needs a connection to the Internet. Once the person logs in, he or she can immediately start working on their projects. This positively affects productivity, as you or your employees can work from different places and all the changes are tracked and recorded in the online database.
This is very important for all industries where eLearning is applicable, as it creates perfect conditions for getting more work done easily.
When it comes to flexibility, there are several aspects where cloud-based authoring tools have an edge over the desktop tools.
- Scalability – No matter which type of content you are creating, there is a high chance that you will reach the maximum capacity of your local or server storage. Good scalability is necessary for any growing business, as well as for professional individuals who are keen to create courses for their students. This problem is completely removed with cloud-based authoring tools, as you can scale your storage according to your needs. Additionally, it is easier to work with a high number of students with no problems. Scalability is often overseen as an issue, and it is later recognized as a great problem and cloud-based authoring tools remove it from the very start.
- Collaboration – When using a desktop authoring tool, working with someone on the project requires from that person to be physically present. On the other hand, more people can access a cloud-based authoring tool and simultaneously work on creating content. This can greatly shorten the project completion time. This is one of the key benefits that a cloud-based authoring tool provides as teams of people can work together on creating content.
- Instantaneous changes – While working on a desktop authoring tool, it takes several steps before the content is updated. First, it is worked on locally, then saved locally, and then shared with other people. On the other hand, any changes and updates made via cloud-based authoring tools are immediate, thus shortening the editing process.
- Great customization – Content creators can easily use video, image and audio materials in the production phase. This is something that is much harder to achieve with desktop solutions.
- Different platform compatibility – Desktop solutions are literally created for a specific operating system. On the other hand, cloud-based authoring tools are compatible with all platforms as they are accessed via internet browsers. This is one of the best benefits that this software brings. All you need is an Internet connection and you can make any changes and work on all types of devices – be it a tablet, a smartphone, a laptop, a PC or a Mac. This enables people to work from any location, for example, while they are commuting.
This flexibility is the reason why an increasing number of businesses are moving to cloud-based authoring tools. They have no drawbacks in comparison to desktop platforms and offer a greater number of benefits.
Ease of use
Content creators are looking for ways to share their experience and knowledge with other people. They are not interested in learning about complicated systems and how to use them. SaaS authoring tools are created so that any type of user can easily understand the basics and start using them within few hours. This is very important for both businesses and individuals. Learning how to use a software tool is not only time consuming, but it is also an unnecessary financial investment. Ease of use is also an important benefit of cloud-based authoring tools. It simply saves time and money, while also enabling any employee to easily join the process of content creation.
It is clear that cloud-based authoring tools are a better option for anyone working in the eLearning industry. This technology carries an abundance of benefits, making the authoring process much easier to complete. We are likely to witness a complete adaptation of these software tools in the future as they are only going to improve in the future bringing more functionality to the table and thus further improving the authoring processes.
Join thousands of subscribers
And get updates as and when we publish new, informative and research based posts!