App Discovery is a huge hassle after the development of an app. The sheer size of the App Store with millions of apps already crowding it makes app discovery a difficult process.
The search engine is major factor in deciding the glory of the app and its success.
Search in the App depends on Keywords field and those found under the App Name. The Publisher name and In-App Purchases names are important too. Keyword Optimization is a major step in App Store Optimization for the iOS apps.
Keyword Optimization involves brainstorming of keywords and keyphrases that does not do actual keyword analysis but focusing on search terms that are relevant but never found on the store. Considering all possible keywords will lead to app success in the App Store
Here are some tips to brainstorm keywords for the app.
- Actual Brainstorming Done
- AI does not include culture or history thus the human brain is the first and the most important place where the keywords need to be picked from. Write down words that come to mind when thinking about the features and benefits of the app.
- List related keywords and keyphrases that includes actions, objects, enemies and challenges. Think about its functionality when it comes to apps that are service-based, and focus on the problems the app will solve.
- Write down keywords related to the appearance of the app. List down names of the level themes, the names of character styles, the intentions and the like. Also mention if your app is relevant for the next platform and the next or not.
- The App Store’s algorithm supports use of plural and singular word search results but for other languages other than English, the search engine does not have an intelligent algorithm in place.
- Use of the Google AdWords Keywords Planner Tool
The Google Adwords Keyword Tool which is now the Keyword Planner can find related keywords in a trice. Also, one can find good keyphrases with the keyword list. Complement the list with the competitors’ keywords and get even more options.
The process includes the following steps:
- Select Tools and Keyword Planner.
- Choose Search for new keyword
- Briefly describe your app and the service it provides
- Put a Wikipedia page connected to your app in the next page to add more keywords
- Use the Product Category to filter the list
- Click Get Ideas to finish the list.
- Select the Keyword ideas tab.
- Your list is ready!
You can add the huge number of keywords to the main list, or filter some of the words out. Eliminate extremely specific or very long keywords.
The list multiplier is an efficient tool too. The process of finding keywords is similar to that of the Google Adwords Keyword Planner.
- Your competitors’ keywords list
Millions of apps are available in the App Store and it is a fact that your competitor must be having keywords for similar apps. The apps with similar functionality and theme should be handpicked and assessed for same art style. Games having same mechanics can be chose too.
The main App Store Optimization services includes automatic tools like “Keyword Spy” that match search results with the keyword or keyphrase, so that you get the list with similar fields in the search engine.
Check out reviews of your competitors along with tools like review analysis tools, and the like.
A thesaurus helps in finding words to describe your app efficiently since it brings in alternate words for a keyword.
One could lose valuable traffic if one is not aware of similar words related to the app. Use Thesaurus.com and Synonym.com for synonymous words and relevant keywords to the app.
- Search Suggestions
One of the most efficient way to find valuable keywords and keyphrases is by typing the required keywords in a search engine and wait for auto-suggestions. Google is known for its popularity as well as quality while the App Store can post in relevant keywords too. Keyphrases are not relevant in the App Store while condensed forms of sentences work as effective keyphrases for your app.
The suggestions bar and the related keywords section in the App store are efficient enough for knowing options. Tools like Ubersuggest helps users with suggestions of top 10 keywords and keyphrases for every term you enter.
The tools are surely efficient but won’t be enough to generate the perfect list of keywords and keyphrases. One should search with an open mind and filter keywords based on relevance and scenarios. Not all tactics are efficient in every case.
The list is an integral part of Keyword Optimization (KWO) process. Have a great list of keyword and phrases that can be a huge part of the overall App Store Optimization process. In the end, it boils down to your instincts and guts to recount the keyword and synonyms that can serve your app with great search engine rankings and top lists of the App Store.
Image Source: BIGSTOCK
Join thousands of subscribers
And get updates as and when we publish new, informative and research based posts!