Testing is a crucial part of every software development process. According to study, around 39% of project cost get consumed on testing phase only. Testing puts a focus on the flaws and defines new challenges to developers. Because developers have to look for reported bugs and reframe the code in order to fix current issues.
Top mobile app developers are very much aware of good mobile testing techniques. The result always returns high quality apps which provide best mobile experience to customers. In today’s fast-growing mobile app market, testing delivers a lot of challenges.
In order to achieve the best quality, app development companies must follow best testing practices. Below are some of the crucial testing approaches which can lead app development companies at peak level in the market.
- Initial Strategy: Testing planning right before the development of app helps in laying down must follow instructions to the testing team. These initial guidelines create uniformity in an overall testing process. It also ensures sufficient test coverage.
- Real Device Testing: Testing of the mobile app on actual devices helps to design the test cases in more practical way. Various types of emulators and simulators are used for testing mobile apps in the early phase of the development. Testing on real devices also gives a better idea about the functionality and behaviour of the mobile app.
- Testing from Initial Stage: It is said that testing should get started from very initial stage of app development. Because, if the issues do not get reported initially, it will carry forward to next phases. Then it will become more difficult to fix them and it is costly too.For example, issues in the design phase of the app can cause problems in coding phase. So it is good practice to start testing as soon as the app development has reached a logical stage. Test result from each phase will help top mobile app developers to build a strong mobile app.
- Device and OS Priority: For mobile app testing, it is important to set device and OS preferences. It is somehow impossible to test app completely on a combination of device, network and OS together. Developers need to search for solutions which allows device and OS to work together to perform Quality Assurance (QA) test for the app.
- Automation Testing: Automation testing gears up the testing procedure by reducing the manual efforts for app testing. It saves a lot of time and generates high Return On Investment (ROI). Different automation testing software’s are available in markets. But, a regular maintenance of automation test software is always recommended.
- Security and Stress Testing: Performing security and stress testing on the app is the best way to check the app performance and robustness. Security testing ensures how much open source app is safe from unknown third party accesses. While stress testing proves how long the app bears with extra resource allocation or with no resource allocation.
- Battery Consumption and Standby Mode Testing: Every Android app development company is very much conscious about the battery consumption issue. Because app that consumes too much battery is more likely to be deleted. Standby testing is performed to check whether the app can handle the standby mode.
- Network Strength Testing: It is important to check the performance of app in adverse network conditions. Some gaming apps need Internet connectivity and the app should coordinate with various network strengths or suspended connections.
- Global App in Nature: The mobile app should be developed considering the worldwide audience. Developers should be aware of fact that the app supports various international languages, currencies, etc. The app must get easily integrated with popular social networking sites.
- Know Customer Requirements: User’s satisfaction with app services is most important and biggest need in the app development market. Every user wants more from his/her smartphone and apps in that smartphone. Hence, it is important to know the expectations of customers.The proper understanding of user requirements helps to design effective app development strategies. It also focuses on important functionality and features that users want from the app.
- Forward and Backward Compatibility: The mobile app should be compatible with different Android and iOS versions. Users always update smartphones with newer available OS versions. So app should deliver the same level of services for both newer and older versions of OS.
- Updates and Install/uninstall Steps: Before deploying the app on the Play Store or App Store, testing team should ensure about install and uninstall steps of the app. A testing tool is used to test the update process; it provides the replica of updating older version to newer one. In this test process, previously logged in users should not get logged out after the update. Also, existing user database should not get affected on the phone.
- Usability Testing: Usability testing ensures how user-friendly the mobile app is. The app with good User Interface (UI) elements is easy to use and understand. The app which provides clear text and error messages delivers quality performance. Users hate slow and frequently crashing apps. Usability test on mobile app ensures no app crashing and deliver better user experience.The best method to test usability is feedback from customers. This will help to know different opinions about features and functionality of the app.
- Various Data Network Test: Users access their smartphones and use apps while travelling. Hence testing of the app on various data networks is essential. The app may get various data networks while travelling through different areas. Mobile app sometimes requires the Internet connection to complete a particular task.Hence, it is important to test the performance of the app on all data networks and it should seamlessly switch from one data network to another without crashing.
- Permission Restrictions and Log Files: Users will not install the apps with unclear permission requirements. Because users are very cautious about their sensitive information and data. Some apps require account details to login, the app should ask a valid user permission before installing it. App reviews determine whether the app will gain popularity or plummet in a market. Android app developers are always concentrating on app testing before releasing it in a market. For best result, the mobile app is carefully tested for security, stress and usability testing.
Join thousands of subscribers
And get updates as and when we publish new, informative and research based posts!